Thursday 20 January 2011

Food Guides

On Tuesday, the Godfather of the food guide world published there 2011 Guide for the UK, the "Michelin Guide".  I won't go into what I think of this guide this year, other than to say I thought the guide was extremely disappointing and I do wonder what the relevance of this French skewed guide now has on the culinary landscape of this country.  A good judge of the UK's best restaurants? I think not.  It's close but they won't get a big fat cigar and a pat on the back from me.

I could quite easily rattle of a few names who should be in it and who shouldn't, in my opinion.

I thought now would be a good time to give our opinion about these good food guides.

When I first started taking food seriously about 6 years ago I wanted to know where were all the good restaurants?  This 'Masterchef' programme on TV kept going on about 'Michelin Star' restaurants, so I thought to myself, lets start with this guide and see what its all about.  Having purchased my first (and so far only one) I set about looking for my nearest restaurants with this exclusive star.  Off we went to 'The Kitchin' in Leith for a meal.  We were not disappointed.

I started reading more about these guides.  It became obvious that a food guide is very subjective, one persons delight can quite equally be one persons horror.

I was well aware of how the AA Rosettes were coveted by the hotels I worked in when they achieved 1 or even 4 in some cases.  The 'Good Food Guide' next appeared on my radar, a quick check on Amazon and this was winging to me in the post, my they were certainly getting there monies worth from me. Who said Scots were tight?  Then the London centric 'Hardens'.  You could read yourself into oblivion if you let them.

The amount of information and different opinions was quite mind boggling at times.

Confused, I was after reading all these reviews of the same restaurant, generally if they say there good they generally are, but if you really wanted to know how good they are, go and find out for yourself.

We certainly will be!

.

No comments:

Post a Comment