Friday 4 March 2011

So near, yet so far, Odettes, Primrose Hill

Mrs Haveforkwilleat has been wanting to eat here for years and I mean years. 

She fell in love with Bryns style of cooking ever since she saw him beating Angela Hartnett in the Great British Menu.  Yes that long ago when Bryn was a mere but talented sous chef.

He now has his own place, Odettes, buying it outright in 2008. Whilst he has a great reputation, Mr Michelin Man keeps driving by his restaurant without stopping.  Sadly on our visit today, I can see why.

Odettes is set in the leafy suburb of Primrose Hill, 5 minutes from Chalk Hill tube station. 

On entering the restaurant, we were greeted by the restaurant manager who was quite charming and directed us to a small but adequate round table in the corner by some double doors. The ambience was relaxed and yes I can see why it might be described as romantic.  So far so good.

We opted to eat from the ala carte menu rather than the lunchtime set menu.

I opted to have a starter of pigs head and black pudding terrine, Jax opted for the wood pigeon and foie gras.

Both tasted lovely, with perhaps my terrine needing a bit more seasoning, but this is down to personal taste.  Jax did find a bit of errant shot in the final bite of her wood pigeon breast, but we didn't make a fuss of it, since these things happen. The wood pigeon was cooked to perfection and melted in your mouth. This bird died for a good and just cause.

Sadly things started going downhill from here.

For our mains, I opted for Halibut Coq Au Vin and Jax a Turbot with clams. Jax popped to powder her nose and whilst away our mains arrived. I was happily day dreaming and didn't notice that they had put the wrong plate down in front of me.  A few seconds later my sauce arrived and as the waiter pointed to my plate and said sauce for your course.

I unknowingly poured the sauce over my course. Failing to recognise that the wrong course had been put down in front of me.

Only when my wife sat down and took her first bite did the penny drop. We queried the dish with the manager who's response was "did I do that, oh well you've tried both dishes now", but missing the point that the wrong sauce was on the wrong plate.  He tried to make us feel it was our fault that he placed the wrong food in front of us. No apology nothing.

Needless to say the staff avoided all contact with us after then. My fury was obviously apparent in my face.

We declined desserts and cheese and opted to pay our bill and leave as quickly as possible.  It was only when we picked up our jackets that a waiter (who didn't serve the courses to us) apologised to us. 

Sadly the damage was done.

Please Mr Michelin Man, keep driving on.

Food 5/10 (hard to say due to sauce mix up)
Service 2/10

Two starters, two mains and a bottle of wine, £102.

No comments:

Post a Comment